Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Publishing in Haiti...

...doesn't always work.  This is my second attempt on this specific post and I failed the night before last.  Hopefully...

I think I'm settled into a groove.  Sleeping has been good, i'm so exhausted that even my lack of a pillow is not a problem.  I have finally braved the showers and the leeches are just about gone.  The food is hit or miss.  The other morning was 2 peeled hard boiled eggs, a piece of bread and an open banana, not quite my style.  Good news, they give extra food to the people around the clinic.

The patients are super interesting.  There is a ton of hydrocephalus due to untreated meningitis, its very sad.  There are also tons of super teeny growing babies who are very sweet.  I've been caring for two little boys who are tons of fun.  THey are both waiting for medications before they can have surgery.  They don't speak English but today during our dance party the older one busted out Justin Bieber, in English, thank god he had no idea what he was saying.  They also LOVE our cameras, they think its hilarious to look at themselves on the camera.

The familes are totally incredible.  They take care of eachother.  When one mother has to leave, the other ones step in to feed, bathe and comfort her child.  THey also all chip in and care for the orphaned ones.  Today when housekeeping brought up all of the clean sheets they all got up to fold.  I think we have alot to learn from them. 

I think I can finally say i'm happy I came.  My feet hurt, it sure is work, but i'm glad.

Hope all is well
T

PS...i promise to post photos when I get home.  It is absolute chaos surrounded in beauty. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad all is well, Tracy. And happy to hear you are finally clean! Anxious to see the pictures and hear more stories. Sounds like an incredible experience. Some day I will join you....I really would like to. Continue to be safe. I will cross my fingers for better breakfast. How about I take you out for sushi when you get back? We can look at photos and you can tell me all about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...sounds so interesting. I'm glad you feel good about your time there. I'm also guessing it'll be hard to leave when there is such a need for you there. Just remember that your care for them will always connect you to them even if you're not physically there. Hope the rest of your week is goes as smoothly as possible. Can't wait to see the pictures but especially can't wait to see you. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come home soon- we are out of propane. bahaha.

    ReplyDelete